Sunday 28 September 2014

Music video inspirations - Miss Georgiou.

In this post I will be analysing three music videos, and give reasons as to why they have provided me with inspiration for my music video. The music videos that I will analyse have provided me inspiration through the micro elements, music video style, artist representation, music video genre and choose of song.


1. Chase and Status - No problem



This video has inspired me particularly as it is extremely conventional to the dance genre. The first convention that we are able to see is through mise en scene. The lighting in this video is very conventional as it is bright and strobe lighting is used. This is something that I believe links very well with the dance genre as it makes the audience feel although they are in the party atmosphere. I am going to try to incorporate this into my music video.

The editing within this music video is also something which has inspired me to create a dance music video. In the video there are a lot of fast timing of shots, which enhances the pace of the music video and goes well with the fast pace music. I think that this is something that makes this music video strongly conventional to the dance genre.

Finally the mise en scene again is something that has inspired me. In this video the main character has been painted in luminous paint. This use of make up is something that i believe contrasts well with the dark background used within this music video. Also luminous paint is something that often is used in dance videos, therefore it is strongly conventional again.


2. Redlight - 9TS Baby



The cinematogrpaphy in this music video was something that I thought worked really well. There was a vast amount of close ups and extreme close ups of the girls face and mouth. In using these shots the audience are able to view the face of the artist and also it helps them understand the lyrics more as they can see her mouth. I would like to incorporate these close ups into my music video as I think it gives the music video a unique edge.

In addition I think that the mise en scene, in particular clothing is well chosen in this music video. The artists are dressed in clothes that you would link with the 90s like a burberry bucket hat, therefore creating a link between the lyrics and the visuals, making the music video conventional to Goodwins theory. Furthermore accessories like glasses and large hooped earrings have also been used in this music video, these are items that you would expect to see in a club environment, therefore the music video is conventional to the dance genre.

The lighting used in this video has inspired me to create my music video. In one shot we can see a blue background in which a person is standing with no light on their face; this creates the effect of a shadow.  I think this is something that I could try to include within my music video as I feel it works well with the dance genre.

3. Route 94 - My Love



The mise en scene in this video works very well with the dance genre. The setting is one of the main elements in this music video as it is set in a club. This is very conventional for a dance song. I like the idea of setting the music video in a club environment as it makes the genre easily
identifiable for the target audience. This club environment is something that I certainly want to try to include in my music video.

The iconography is also well matched to the genre in this music video. In the early parts of the music video the audience can see a girl put a pill in her mouth, connoting that she is taking a drug. This piece of iconography is something that is also used a lot in dance music videos as they are usually drug related.

4. My Head Is a Jungle - Wanklemut

The reason I have chosen this video is because there is the use of a party scene and strobe lighting. The lighting is very conventional of the dance genre which is the same genre that I am doing for my own music video. The use of the colour tints also is conventional as it creates the party theme and gives the audience and insight to the genre of the song and what it represents. The video follows a character which is also quite relatable for the audience as they may feel they also have a lifestyle similar to the character in the visuals of the music video. The narrative has given me inspirations for my own video. The location of the party is very irregular; it takes place in a launderette. The idea that the party is in an unordinary location keeps the audience entertained and surprised as it is not just any normal dance music video. Another inspiration is the mis-en-scene element of costumes; the costumes that have been worn in this video really appeal to the target audience of the video as it is current and fashionable and suits the genre of music.

5. Levels - Avicii

Mise-en-scene has been used in the music video to show how the video relates to the genre of music. The location of the music video is a typical office building, it shows a normal working life. However, as the man in the office is dancing as if he is in a club it shows how different people can act. It relates as this is the effect of the music. Natural lighting was used within the music video, this is too make the scene seem more realistic and it makes the dancing man stand out more. This represents that the man is dancing like he would if he was in a club which is stereotypical to a dance genre music video. The costume that was used in the video was a typical work clothes-shirt and tie. I like the use of a male character to create a narrative within this dance video. This is something that has inspired me to use a male character to portray a narrative in my music video.

2 comments:

  1. You have made a start in considering various music videos that have provided you with many different inspirations. It is also clear to see that you are started to consider the micro elements of your own production.

    Now you need to consider 3 artists/songs that you are considering for your own production, based on the inspirations that you have gathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post now demonstrates some further understanding of the music video inspirations that you gathered from your research and how it will inspire you in editing your music video in a certain way.

    However, you need to be more specific with editing styles/effects that you would like to use and consider the effect that you would like to create in your production.

    ReplyDelete